(all prices shown are before taxes, fees, and any scuba equipment needed)
We invite you to spend a morning exploring two different dive sites along the Kona coast on our 46ft Newton Dive Special, the Honu One. On this charter, you can expect to see many of our endemic fish, view old lava formations, maybe spot the hard to find octopus, see a resting white tip reef shark, and encounter many other creatures that call this their home.
*If there are certain dive sites you have your heart set on we recommend private chartering the Honu Lele.
- Proof of certification
- Been diving within the past 2 years. If you have been dry for over 2 years a successful checkout dive must be completed before joining the dive group on your next charter.
- You must be in good health with NO heart conditions
- You must be able to converse in English
- You must dive with a computer
- We require Junior open water divers ages 10-11 to dive with a private guide due to their depth restriction. Please call for availability.
- We require divers 12 – 17 years old to dive with a parent or guardian OR a private guide. Please call for availability.
What is included?
- Experienced guides
- Small dive groups – 6:1 ratio
- Educational briefing of dive sites
- A variety of snacks during your surface interval
- Hot water shower – a divers favorite!
When or Why would a private guide benefit me?
- You have a 10-11-year-old Junior Open Water Diver
- When you hold the PADI Scuba Diver certification – this means only 2 of the 4 dives for open water diver has been completed
- When you have equalization issues and need extra time to descend
- When you are a new diver and aren’t quite ready to be in a dive group
- When you are anxious or nervous, or just want more personalized one on one attention
- When you want to creep along and photograph your favorite critters
- When you have a group of more than six divers and want to all dive together
You may make changes or cancellations to your reservations up to 48 hours prior to the trip without penalty. Afterward, all changes, cancellations, or no-shows will not be issued a refund unless the space is filled by another diver. If we are able to fill the space a full refund will be issued. If we are unable to fill the space we cannot issue a refund.
Directions to The Honu One
Kona Diving with Kona Honu Divers
Kona Diving is the best diving in Hawaii. Our reefs are plentiful with loads of hard corals in a variety of colors. Butterflyfish, Moorish idols, eels, and schools of goatfish are common sightings. Octopus are a very common sight when scuba diving on the big island. We see them as often as every other dive often with multiple sightings per dive! Occasionally we’ll see larger critters while diving like whale sharks, mantas, turtles, white tip reef sharks and even humpback whales! Most of the best dive sights are just minutes from Honokohau Marina, where our boats are waiting, offering a great variety of dives in the Kona area. All in there are over 40 sites within a 25 minute ride from the harbor. Our reef scape is often diverse with lots of swim-throughs, caves, overhangs, pinnacles, and walls. Often times we will find interesting things like nudibranchs hanging out inside arches. Our experienced and highly trained dive guides have been scuba diving Kona’s reefs a long time. Some of them more than 17 years! Additionally, we offer wonderful amenities top side. Valet diving, free nitrox, plenty to eat and drink and superior rental equipment are among a few of the things that keep divers coming back year after year.
Kona diving has it’s benefits. Clear warm water, and little current make for ideal easy diving conditions. Visibility can range between 30ft(10m) on a bad day to 100+ft(30m+) on the better days with the average usually falling around 40-80ft. Kona’s varied coastline and protection from ocean swells makes for an even better time on the surface. We have the ability to tuck away from open ocean swells using bays and points for shelter. Our dive boat the Honu One is large and comfortable with plenty of viewing platforms for watching whales and dolphins on the way to and from the dive sites. We take a spacious maximum of 18 divers while our boat is technically capable of accommodating up to 30. The Honu One has a main deck, a spacious bow and an upper deck for lounging that accommodates 8-10 comfortably. Our knowledgable dive guides will brief and debrief you on all of the critters we see answering any questions you may have about them. We relish in getting to know our guests. Less experienced divers love Kona diving because it’s so accessible. Most of the best Kona diving ranges between 15-50ft. This means you will see tons of great stuff regardless of your scuba diving skill level. This doesn’t mean the diving in Kona is shallow. Most sites offer access to nearly unlimited depths with reef slopes unusually close to shore. This allows access to a variety of depth profiles for all divers! Truly exceptional diving is Big Island diving.
In addition to great diving, comfy boats, and experienced divemasters we strive to provide the complete experience. Valet diving means we handle your gear for you so all you have to do is show up and dive. Our experienced dive staff will set up your scuba gear and test its function. We will help you put your gear on so all you have to do is stand up, hop in, and start breathing! We will also rinse and store your gear for you so you don’t have to worry about it until it’s time to head home. You’re going to love diving with Kona Honu Divers. Kona diving like it should be! If you’d like to take advantage of our beautiful diving please give us a call so we can talk about the many packages we have available for you. There’s so much to see and do here underwater in Kona so let’s talk about what might be right for you. The ocean therapy awaits!